In 1985, Oakland City University celebrated its 100th anniversary as an institution of higher education in the state of Indiana. Significant events have highlighted the College’s contribution to the state and nation.
First efforts to establish what eventually came to be Oakland City College were put forth by the General Association of General Baptists in 1838, and the history of the school has always been connected with the denomination. Nothing tangible, however, was accomplished until after the Civil War. In 1866-1867, Oakland Institute was founded, but insufficient funds resulted in its being closed.
Oakland City College was granted a charter from the state of Indiana in 1885. On a tract of land given by Colonel William Cockrum to serve as a campus, the college was begun.
Bricks for the original building were manufactured on the grounds. This structure and a later addition composed the former Administration Building. In 1995, the College changed its name from Oakland City College to Oakland City University.